Friday, April 4, 2008

Stencil Cutting

GPP Street Team Crusade #18, Cut your own stencil: A long, long time ago, when I first started experimenting with all kinds of arts and crafts, I cut my own stencils. I haven't been cutting many stencils lately, so I think it's time to get back into it! I usually cut stencils with a scissors or razor knife. I have heat tools with stencil-cutting tips, which I tried for the first time - they worked just fine! I made multiple-layer stencils for my angel drawing, even one for "background" or "shadow" stencil. Here you can see the "used" stencils with paint still on them, and the angel stencilled with acrylics in my art journal.
*************

A bit of shameless self-promotion here: Check out my handmade items; Retro Fashion Pins and shell angels, seen in these photos.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi ArtKat! I Love how your stencil is multi-layered! What a great idea!

michelle ward said...

Yay! Thanks Artkat for showing how cool it is to have a foundation stencil or shadow to go-with your image. It's only just beginning....another addiction.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, that is very clever, what a good idea. And as for the shameless self promotion - good on you!

Megan Warren said...

Your angels are so cute! thanks for sharing.

Ingrid Dijkers said...

Wow! Great idea, the ghost image in the back is very effective. Now I have to rethink all the ideas I had to include this technique,
Best-
Ingrid

Maj said...

Your angel ghost image reminds me of making angels in the snow - you know, falling back on virgin snow and moving your arms and legs back and forth, till you leave an image of a snow angel!

Anonymous said...

Looks great, love the multi layer stencil.

Rosie said...

That's a really cool stencil! Thanks for making it look so easy... I feel less intimidated now!!

stampandscrap@mail.com said...

Great multi layered stencil. Love it. The angels are all lovely This is my 1st Street Team challenge and the wonderful entries are all so inspiring

Anonymous said...

This is advanced stuff! Multiple layers give it such richness. Your angel is so lovely and I'm just trying to figure out how to marry stencil blanks with my stamps. Thanks for another inspiring idea!

Sarah said...

the foundation layer adds so much to the design, too cool

Ursula Clamer said...

What a clever idea, I love how you even cut a stencil for her hair!

Pocket Size said...

What a sweet angel! I love that you did a layered stencil. It does lend more interest to the design.

Unknown said...

Lovely angel! Using layers adds great features.
Michelle Brown
Melbourne Australia
http://aztecmichelle.wordpress.com

forcryeye said...

cute angel! I love your retro fashion pins, nothing wrong with a little self promotion!

Mescrap said...

Wow ! You have did so many stencils. Love the shell Angels.

Cindy said...

So cool! I am feeling very inspired to do a shadow stamp now... Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Wow, those angels are amazing and you are so clever for doing it! :D x